What to Expect
- There will not be a brochure for the 2020-2021 season.
- It is likely the programming that was planned will be pushed in its entirety to the 2021-2022 season.
- All seats held during the 2019-2020 season will be kept until the 2021-2022 season. You will have the right of first refusal when we can return to Civic Hall for a full season of programming.
- Winners of the local radio auction will be given season tickets for the 2021-2022 season.
- When RSO returns to the stage this season, only single tickets will be available for purchase to ensure social distancing of the audience. Single tickets will be offered to season ticket holders before the general public.
- While the purchase of single tickets would be appreciated as the concerts will come with fees, the RSO will honor trades for missed March and April 2020 concerts. This will require email or phone contact with the office.
- It is possible concerts will be repeated twice in the same weekend to increase the number of patrons who can enjoy the RSO.
- Restrictions and precautions mandated by Richmond Community Schools for the use of Civic Hall Performing Arts Center will be followed.
- At this time, September and October concerts have been cancelled. Due to the fluidity of the situation, the RSO Board of Directors will make decisions about future programming as the season progresses.
- All youth programming has been moved to the spring in hopes it will be more likely the concerts and Young Artist Competition can be held.
- Expect continued newsletters to arrive every six weeks. We will keep you informed of ongoing decisions about the season.
- In the meantime, visit us at RichmondSymphony.org for the regular release of RSO recordings. Plan to see the RSO in the community as we continue to plan the Community Concert Series!
- We want to hear from you and are available for questions. The office is staffed 11:30-3:00 M-F. You are welcome to call (765)966-5181 or email RSO.RichmondSymphony@gmail.com
A Letter from the Board
Dear friend of RSO,
It was so difficult to see the end of our season come to such an immediate halt, but your generosity assisted us in compensating the RSO musicians for the March concert despite its cancellation. That’s something we are very proud of and were only able to do with the support of our donors and sponsors. Many orchestras did not choose to or were unable to pay musicians for cancelled programming. Conductor Bordo was also able to check in on our contracted players and ensure they are all in a safe and healthy place.
As we look to the fall and our return to Civic Hall stage, we are waiting patiently and planning meticulously for a safe return. Many factors are keeping us from planning with confidence, as I am sure you are aware. Most of the things we need to plan for are the same as any other venue, such as enhanced cleaning, ensuring distancing, and reconsidering capacities and start times. However, because of the nature of our medium, we have other considerations as well, such as:
• Being housed at Richmond High School, we are awaiting guidelines on the return to our office and use of the hall. We will need to be flexible because of the fluid situation as it relates to the schools.
• Once we are able to return to the hall for performances, we’re unsure of the precautions that will be mandated by the schools and additional ones the RSO may take to ensure our musicians and patrons feel comfortable.
• Since we draw so many of our players from IU Bloomington Jacobs School of Music and Cincinnati Conservatory, we are unsure of the students’ return to school and whether travel restrictions off campus will be passed down from colleges. We’re also unsure whether musicians will feel safe traveling to Richmond. We may also need to change our typical schedule, moving December and February concerts to coincide with intended college schedules.
We fully intend to have a season, but we are planning to start the season late, perhaps in October. Other considerations include programming for smaller orchestras, shorter concerts and possibly holding the same concert twice to ensure appropriate distancing of the audience. Thank you to Conductor Bordo for his thoughtful work on different potential options. We are also in discussions about the possibility of forgoing season tickets and only selling single ones for each performance to manage the number in attendance and ensure proper spacing. But we fully intend to be on the stage and hope it’s sooner rather than later.
Currently, we are also looking at possible outdoor venues for community concerts later in the summer and into the fall to begin bringing people back into community where it is comfortable. We will certainly do our part to fulfill our mission and ensure the continuation of a vibrant arts scene in Wayne County. We are forever grateful for your support.
Thank you for your support and understanding. Stay safe!
Kathy Girten, on behalf of the RSO board